A Healthy Breakfast to start the day…..
My longtime friend, Rick was visiting from L.A. for a conference in NYC. He has an eye for detail and aesthetics, and takes care that his diet is healthful. I wanted to make him a breakfast that would be beautiful, delicious and healthy.
Having grown up in an Italian family of organic gardeners and all natural cooks, I think a great deal about nutrition. I often start my days with green tea and mixed berries, which are high in antioxidants and fiber as well as many other nutrients. I top the berries with O% fat Greek yogurt for calcium and creaminess, and ground flax seed, which is rich in Omega 3 for the heart and skin, and is another great source of fiber. I found a delicious and exotic frozen Acai fruit puree in the health food store. This common Brazilian fruit is even higher in antioxidants than other berries. I add it to my sundaes and fruit shakes.
I served Rick my Acai Berry Yogurt Sundae in a martini glass accompanied by my favorite Jasmine green tea, fresh squeezed pink grapefruit juice and whole grain cranberry nut bread.
Photo by Colin Cooke
- 1/2 cup organic raspberries
- 1/2 cup organic blackberries
- 1/2 cup organic blueberries
- 1/2 cup organic strawberries, hulled halved
- 1 teaspoon local honey
- 1 cup Greek o% fat yogurt
- 1/4 cup Acai puree, thawed
- 2 tablespoons ground organic flax seed
1. Wash the berries and drain well, then mix with honey.
2. Arrange the berries into two individual glasses or bowls.
3. Whisk or stir the yogurt until smooth in a bowl to help make great looking dollops on top of each glass of fruit.
4. Deftly pour Acai puree over the sundae and sprinkle with flax seed.