Photo by David Bishop
When you hear the words “Chocolate” and “Cream”, what comes to mind is moist, rich heavenliness. What we don’t think of is frugality in the “calorie and fat” department. To have both at the same time is in fact “To Have Your Cake and Eat It Too”. I strive to create scrumptious food that is exemplary as tasty delight and healthy choice. Flavor and texture are the primary elements that drive excellence in the culinary experience. The highest quality and purist ingredients comprise the muse components as inspiration for creating delectable recipes. My years of experimentation with a multitude of products has given me a broad palette for discovery in this endeavor.
I present to you here a recipe for Chocolate Angel Food Cupcakes with Mocha Cream that will knock your socks off…your shoes and pants too…But you can leave your hat on. (As per Joe Cocker’s song lyrics)
I have included calorie counts for all of the ingredients used in the recipe. Having totaled and divided for per serving consumption, each cup cake has about 58 calories. Using 1/8 cup of the Mocha Cream for each at 19 calories, the grand total per serving is a mere and astounding 77 calories, with none of it from fat.
Angel Food Cup Cake Recipe- pre-heat oven to 375′ F
- 3/4 cup Coconut Crystal Sugar (from your local health food store), 180 cal
- 1 cup unsweetened Cocoa Powder, 197 cal
- 1/3 cup water, 0 cal
- 1/4 tsp salt, 0 cal
Heat the ingredients together in a sauce pan until they are dissolved and smooth of lumps. Let cool.
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour, 100 cal
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder (I use aluminum free brands), 0 cal
Whisk together flour and baking powder in a small bowl and set aside.
- 1/4 cup Meringue Powder (powdered egg whites), 60 cal
- 1/2 cup Water, 0 cal
- 2 Teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract, 40 cal
- Beat the meringue powder, water and vanilla extract with an electric mixer on high until soft peaks form, about 5 minutes.
- On a lower speed, mix in the chocolate sugar syrup.
- Gradually mix in the dry flour mixture.
- Pour batter equally into about 8 – 10 paper lined cupcake pan portions.
- Bake for 10 – 12 minutes until a pick comes out cleanly. Let cool while you make the Mocha Cream.
- 2 cups 0% fat Greek Yogurt, 260 cal
- 1/2 cup Coconut Crystal Sugar, 120 cal
- 1/2 cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder, 98.5 cal
Whisk together in a small bowl until smooth and set aside.
- 1 cup very strong Espresso Coffee, 0 cal
- 1/2 cup Meringue Powder, 120 cal
- 1/2 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract, 10 cal
- Beat together the meringue powder, coffee and vanilla with an electric mixer on high speed until soft peaks form.
- Lower the speed and mix in the Mocha Yogurt mixture.
- Using a pastry bag with a # 2 tip (about 3/8″ diameter), poke the cupcakes in the center almost to the bottoms to fill the interiors and cover the tops with the Mocha Cream, about 1/8 cup per cupcake.
- There will be lots of Mocha Cream left over. It stores covered in the refrigerator for days. It can be re-whipped to use it again.
Enjoy your low cal, no fat, chocolatey dessert with or without your hat on.